Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Face don't want to listen

As I sit here in the library, blankly staring at the screen, I've realized two things.  First, for some reason the screen settings are tweaked in such a way as to make it impossible to remove the blurs before and after everythign on the screen.  I shall have to persist in my typing, though fifteen minutes in I already have a headache.  The things I go to to get my internet fix...

The second think is that I have no idea what to write about.  So, I think I'll just write about people.

See, people are a bit funny sometimes.  At times, they're wonderful people, and will sit and talk to us for an hour on the sidewalk, park bench, or where-ever.  At other times, we have drug deals on the corner, marijuana smoke drafting into our apartment through the AC unit, murders, rape, pillage, genocide, all that fun stuff that humans are capable of.

Then, we have the other people.  These people just ignore us.  We'll greet them with a cheerful, "What's up?" or maybe a more serious, "How's it going?"  Then, we wait, and they walk past us, usually without eye contact.  There may or may not be earbuds helping them ignore us, but usually not.
I really don't understand this, to tell the truth.  Why don't people want to hear what we have to say?  In most cases, I think it comes from not understanding our message; they honestly don't know what we have to offer.  They don't understand that we have what they need; they cannot get to heaven except by fulfilling the conditions that God has set, which include an authorized baptism.  They simply can't. 

I wish I was able to help people understand.  Like Alma, at times I wish to say,
O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!
 Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth.
 But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me. ~Alma 29: 1-3
Oh well.  As it is, we'll have to keep doing it the old fashioned way.  It's like a sign I saw once:  With faith, you can move mountains; just don't act too surprised when God hands you a shovel.

No comments:

Post a Comment