Thursday, May 19, 2011

Christian means...


Recently, I've been a bit puzzled by some of our critics.  By 'our critics,' I mean people who choose to slander the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, accusing us of not being "Christian."  I'm puzzled, mainly because the name of the church is the church of JESUS CHRIST.  Note that it's not the church of Joseph Smith or Brigham Young, it is the church of Jesus Christ.

I can only wonder why it is that people would fight this church.  Mainstream christianity, as I understand it, teaches that in order for people to go to heaven, all they need to do is depend on Jesus Christ, to profess belief, and to pray that Jesus apply his merciful grace.  If there is any church that teaches people to believe in Jesus Christ, and to rely wholly on His merits, we are it.  Surely it is a good thing that we teach people this?  Surely people cannot object to our helping people go to heaven?

I've been told many times that we believe in a "different Jesus."  Yet nobody has ever been able to explain to me exactly how.  Let's see, Son of God? Check.  Born of Mary? Check.  Did many miracles? Check.  Died for our sins? Check.  Only way to ever get back to our Father? Check.

I just don't understand.  It doesn't make sense, and it's not true.  We are Christians.  By that, I mean that we believe that Jesus Christ is our savior, and the only way to be happy in this life or the next.  He was the only person, past or present, to live a sinless life.  He paid for our sins, suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane and dying on the cross.

I know this to be true.  I wish everyone did.

No comments:

Post a Comment