Monday, May 2, 2011

Action, Reaction

I have to say, I love mornings like this.  You can barely see the sun because of all the cloud cover.  It's nice and cool, only about fifty degrees.  It's a morning that you can run in, or just sit in without being uncomfortable either way.

We had a surprise this morning.  When we went to Brother Swanson's house to use his washing machines, he opened the door before we knocked, and said, "He's dead!"

Of course, the first thing I was thinking was "...what?"  I mean, who's dead?  It turns out that not only does the US know where Osama bin Laden was hiding, they've performed a strike and he is now dead.

I'm not sure how entirely to feel about that.  On the one hand, it certainly gives a nice sense of closure on the 9/11 attack.  He helped to kill thousands of US citizens;  now, ten years later, he's dead.

On the other hand, we have one terrorrist attack that launched a circle of death and destruction, doom and despair, that have destroyed many lives.  It was a necessary evil, but it was an evil nevertheless.  Now, one more person is dead.  For what?  To make some kind of example for future terrorists?  The only thing I can think of is that this will prevent any future harm he could cause.  It makes me sad and happy at the same time.

So often, we as human beings just want revenge.  We want to hurt those who hurt us.  If you punch me, there's a good chance I'm going to come back at you with whatever I have at hand.  I want you to hurt just as bad as you hurt me.

The only problem is that this solves nothing.  I believe it was Gandhi that said, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."  So, I'm going to propose something that Lennon had in the works about thirty years.  "All we are saaaaying.... is give peace a chance!"  Let's all be ready for that day when Christ shall come, and establish a peaceful kingdom here on the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment